Thread: Blackbird!
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 08:14 AM
Up & Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
I finally visited the Air Museum yesterday in Dayton Ohio. F'ing HUGE place! I spent about two hours walking around and didn't see half of it. I did peruse the Blackbird though and that alone was worth the trip. What a sleek device. They said it holds the altitude record at 85K feet or so and the speed record at 2,100 plus (is that knots or mph?). I think some folks think its faster than that.

107' long and 55' wingspan....after you take out for the engines and fuselage there is precious little left for actual wing! 150,000# loaded....I suppose mostly the fuselage is a humongous fuel tank, since its only duty was to fly far, fast and high and snap candid moments of the evil empire!

I also had good looks at the stealth bomber and stealth fighter.

The fighter has vents over the motor....folks here said this wouldn't work during our discussion of geese being sucked in a few weeks ago!

Anyway, it would take a couple of days to really do it right.

Admission is free, wear good shoes.

The only thing I didn't see was a C5A.

Two hours !! I guess you'll be going back !!

Sounds like you had an awesome visit. There certainly are some cool aircraft up there, for sure.

As for the 117. The screens arent fixed. Here it is doing what it does best.
Note: No vents.

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/AirShows/Riat2002/F117/index.html

Let us know the next time you go. How about some pics !

I usually don't think about taking any when I'm at places like that. AF, Pima, etc.
Too busy looking and "listening" to their stories of aviations yester-years.
And yerning....