View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Don't Tread on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltedpanda View Post
on my 72 450 SL , I get a flair between shifts 2-3, 138K on the speedo. I have searched but to no avail.
Did a tranny flush, used high mileage fluid and seems a tad better, could it be jsut worn or ajustment. No one around here will even look at the tranny -"too complicated"

Just for the hell of it, remove(unscrew) the modulator on the trans(might leak a bit of fluid), and remove the dome shaped plastic cap. You'll see a small O-ring. Repalce the o-ring.

Also inside the modulator, you'll see a flat metal key like plunger. Lift up the pluger a bit and turn in CCW(I believe) one notch. Put everything back together and reinstall(screw in) modulator on the trans(new crush washer). See how it drives. If the shifting seems a bit softer, readjust the plunger 1 notch CW from where you first started(2 nothches CW.) Drive it again. Might have to try several times to get it right.

Might help, might not. Won't cost nothing but a o-ring and washer. Only takes 10 minutes to remove modulator, so in the course of an hour or so and maybe $1, you might fix the problem, or not.

PS... They'll be a vacuum hose attached to the modulator plastic cap. Make sure thats not leaking. Replace if bad.