View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 10:15 AM

Talking buy 80's SL...

thank you for the great advice...so helpful. To recap (please expand on any of these if I've missed the point.)

JimFreeh: Buy the nicest, rustfree, documented example you can afford. --- yes, so I'm looking at rust and a service record

300sdToronto:I assume gas costs are not relevant to you if you are looking at a 560?
---no, I currently drive a LandCruiser, so I suppose I've officially spurned fuel efficiency as a goal in life!

Jplinville: but oh how much fun it is!!!
---really, my primary goal. I live in a warm climate (where the top could be down almost 365 days a year) and I want a fun! car to drive, and one that not everyone has.

POS: The low-mileage good cars (a) look very well kept, (b) drive "tight" and that includes inside switchgear, and (c) come from an individual that you like
---I can assess driving "tight" I think, but what do you mean by the switchgear?

Abiby: end up with a Hyundai sedan
---please, no! Life is too short to waste it driving around in that.

Coleyjf: "86 - 89" "facelift model" of the SL
---so forgo the early 80's models and focus on the later 80's? Is there a significant difference in the engine size: would I notice a big difference with the larger 5.6 engine?

to all my helpful respondents....I have driven two so far.
1. A 1986 with 160k in gold with tan, privately owned (2nd owner). Cosmetically not ideal: torn top, scraped wheels, cracked console, drivers seat sags to left, a/c doesn't work. Sits all summer, so not driven much. Seemed tight to drive, but didn't take above 40mph. Felt fun. Owner respectable and honest, although not particularly knowledgeable. Seems expensive for mileage and condition. $12k
No. 2 was 1986 with 86k one owner, silver with grey, but now with a dealer. All cleaned up to look pretty, but didn't start first time and ran rough at first. Seemed a little springy to drive. Service records back to 1989--lots of indications of "runs rough" in late 1990's. Didn't feel too fun. Seems like good price $12k

Is is worth finding some earlier or later models to drive for comparison?

Other than looking in newspaper, cars.com and ebay, any other suggestions to find some for sale?

- Holly, in search of the right SL