View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 11:47 PM

Strife,

Thanks for the reply. I just got done a little bit ago and currently the clock is working great. I believe that I had one of 2 things happen - a bad capacitor from RS, or I did get things too hot and shorted out some of the trace lines with too much solder. I think I ended up connecting a few lines that I shouldn't have...with excess solder. I went back to RS and bought 2 new capacitors and installed them, so I think I had one bad capacitor.

I know this - I definitely got the board too hot and did lift some of the solder lines from the board! I tried to fix them as best I could and on my last repair attempt, I clearly had a broken solder line. As best as I could, I got the line connected with some new solder and currently the clock has been keeping time for the last 90 minutes or so. I had trouble with the simplest things - like cutting off the excess capacitor wires after soldering - this caused a line to break and I had to do some more soldering...

I did figure out how to check the resistance/continuity of the circuit board lines with my analog meter. I think everything is put back together pretty solid, but I am going to look for another clock! Do you think using too much heat and lifting some of the trace lines is going to cause me trouble down the road?

ryan

1984 300D
1972 250
1986 560SL
1991 300CE