View Single Post
Old 05-15-2002, 01:50 PM
Senior Canadian Member

Matt,

Yes, i agree that repeaters should be madatory. Currently, aside from some of the imports, only busses and tractor-trailer rigs employ repeaters. I have had serveral expereinces where repeaters would have been a God-send.

As for the daytime running lights, it's been madatory in Sweden for quite some time now and Canada has had them for over 10 years and they are DEFINITELY a good idea. I don't think we go through any more bulbs than normal. At least *I* haven't. however, I've ALWAYS driven with my headlights on during the day.

I think ppl that experience an unusual increase in headlight bulb burnouts should have their electrical system checked or ensure that they are using the correct wattage bulbs. in the end, even if it DOES cost more in terms of replacement bulbs, one's safety is certainly worth at least that much.

My only complaint about the DRLs is that most manufacturers skimp out and use a system that provides reduced power to the high-beam filament only to comply with the DRL regulations. So NO OTHER lights are on with the DRLs.

This is very dangerous because people are the laziest damn creatures on earth and many of them don't bother to turn on their lights at dusk/night figuring that DRLs are enough. The result is that they have NO dash lights or tail lights, or side markers, and their headlights are only at half-brightness. If that. they figurethat they can see so there's no problem. however they forget that people need to see them as well. This is probably my greatest pet peeve because it's very frustrating to have to try and guess if there's a car in front of you or not.

A much better system would be what MB has done for years and that is to turn on ALL the lights with the engine. this way, even if ppl are lazy, they're not invisible to the other motorists.
'88 R107.048 441/409 leder; Euro lights
'87 W201.034 199/040 leder; Euro lights; EvoII brakes; 8x16 EvoIs - soon: 500E rear brakes
'70 R113.044 050/526; factory alloys; Euro lights