View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian White View Post
In my opinion, the citric flush is the biggest waste of money. I dont see why you cant flush the cooling system like all other cars on earth are done. I have always used standard green coolant and have never had a single issue. The only thing I have ever done is change coolant (every 25,000) and replace the rad. cap.

I don;t see or understand the purpose of the citric flush. What exactly is the textbook purpose?

Thanks!
The textbook purpose is to de-rust and de-lime the cooling system. Think vinegar in a coffee pot or tea kettle. At least here where I live we have well water with tons of lime in it, I clean my tea kettle every other week.

My point in this thread is to warn folks that doing this procedure comes with risks. You must assess the benefits vs. the risks for your particular situation. Don't do the flush the day before you leave for a vacation, etc, because theres a good chance (100% in my case) you will be replacing something.

Tons of rust scale came out just rinsing the system with water, not a hint of lime was in there. To be fair, I could have fertilized my garden with what came out of my 82.

I keep telling myself its good that this happened now, but all I can think of is what a dope I would feel like if my heater core started leaking because of this. I also have a feeling my radiator would have lasted tens of thousands of miles. It even stopped leaking (and held some pressure) after I put water back in and did the three rinse-and-repeats called for in the procedure.

dd
'83 300TD Cali Wagon 210k, wife's car