View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Sing Blue Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSilver View Post
The idealism of the old series. The sense of true community. The female Viper pilots. Think about it: They were under martial law, and no one noticed, or cared.

The new series, which I admit I never gave a fair audience since the only episodes I watched were the first one, Razor, and the last two, was too belligerent,dark, mean spirited and soulless. The original made me want to join the crew. The remake made me want to change channels.

DISCLAIMER: When the original series came out I was 14, very open minded and idealistic. When the remake was done, I was old and cynical, which could be skewing my perceptions.
1. Plenty of female pilots in the new one

2. "...under martial law, and no one noticed, or cared" Thats what I liked about the new series, it was very real world. I'm sure if a group of people were under martial law some wouldn't be happy about it no matter what. And on that real world sens of the series my favorite bit was the fact that the 50 year old Galactica was suffering structurally from years of abuse. (Any Star Trek Voyager fans know if they had any episodes with anything similar?)

3. Dark, yes, mean spirited, yes but I wouldn't call it souless. Again it was very real world. If you got shot in the head, your dead, if the nuke goes off, it goes off, no "It was just a bad dream" simply put, the good guys don't always win.

"The thing is Bob, its not that I'm lazy...its that I just don't care."