View Single Post
Old 05-26-2002, 01:54 AM
Benz240D

Okay, so it isn't exactly text book, but it does work and does give pretty good brakes! Air bubbles are kept to a minimum.

If I can't break the bleeder loose, I loosen the hose and let it drip keeping an eye on the resvoir to make sure it doesnt run empty. You can get a pretty good bleed by bleeding the hose to cylinder method. The only amount of possible air is between the hose fitting and the caliper or cylinder which is not going to make a huge difference. It'll stop! the car. Eventually if any air was in the line it'll work itself out.

Oxy-Cetelene torch is always the better way. It has the most intenze heat - *6,000 deg F - And the brake fluid won't boil or hurt something as long as you direct the heat right.
I've not ever had a problem getting a caliper almost orange and then letting it cool off.

Want to see a brake get orange hot a lot? watch NASCAR, every now and then they show the little mini-cam that shows the brakes. Now you wanna talk about getting brakes Orange hot and that is every turn for how many laps? That is a lot of heat! So, warming a cylinder with a torch isn't going to hurt much. Unless you place the heat directly on the rubber or direct the heat to leaking fluids.
Brake fluid has to get pretty hot before it'll burn - And the Best way to heat it is off the car anyhow.

Last edited by Benz240D; 05-26-2002 at 01:59 AM.