View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark DiSilvestro View Post
Because we appreciate the solid integrity these cars represent, and the philosophy that produced them - that these cars were built to last, and not be discarded after a few years like last years designer fashions. And that the cars were/are so popular that parts avaiibility is still better than average. And many of us buy these cars because they are availible for a fraction of what they would cost new today, or even what they cost new back in the late '70s. And unlike todays cars, and indeed most cars built in the last 25 years, cars like the 240D are excellent prospects for DIY repair.

Unfortunately, in addition to consumer demand for every computerised gadget that can be crammed into a new car, simple cars have been virtually legislated out of the new-car market by DOT and EPA demands for electronic engine controls and complex safety systems. And I sometimes wonder how much longer it will be before our old cars get legislated out of existence.

I suppose I could also ask - If it was possible today, would you pay $22,000 for a brand new W123 240D, or $34,000 for a brand new W123 300D?

Happy Motoring, Mark
Mark, Sorry it took so long, I was just re-reading, and noticed I never answered your question . . .

If I were in the market for a new car, I would say that YES I would be happy to spend that on a new QUALITY car, I normally like to buy used as it is more friendly on the bank account. The only vehicle I ever bought new was my 05 Sprinter which I needed for my FedEx home delivery business . . . That was the worst $39K I every spent! I went back for warrenty 4 times in 7 months, during the down time I needed to rent another vehicle . . . that was junk! I was HAPPY to unload it for $27k! (it did have about 47k on the odo)