View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 01:58 PM

OK, I'm ready to talk about the film... Spoiler Alert... Kinda (no plot, but still)
Highlight to read

I thought the casting was good, I like all the characters. I thought all the actors did a good job bringing the characters to life. Chekhov was kind of out of place. I mean it felt like he was included in the movie because he was on the list of characters, not because he was required for the film. In fact this was my biggest complaint about the movie. It felt like they forced the characters into their roles, instead of letting them have their own stories. Uhura, Scotty, Bones and Spock were all great. the rest of the characters deserved more story. Sulu was just kind of there. He had a cool role, but he I would have liked more back story. Chekhov as mentioned before could have been left out of this movie and got a better introduction in the next one. Kirk... this is my number one gripe with the film. He is such a larger then life character that he needed at least another 2 hours to tell this story. I felt like they forced his rise to the captain's seat instead of letting him earn it.

For you Star Wars people, It would be like if they skipped all of Luke's story in Empire and forced him to be the man he was at the end of Jedi all in the first movie. Kirk was not really allowed to grow at all. The movie established that he was Kirk, and that alone seemed to qualify him to be the captain. I thought it was kind of disrespectful to his character. Kirk deserves to be a well rounded character, not something from a cracker jack box.