View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 01:54 PM

Hate to tell you this, but the smaller shiny round piece in the picture of your injector hole is the injector seal, or "heat shield" as you call it. The old style was a round "T" shaped seal that slipped into the prechamber hole with the top of the "T" showing and is what the nozzle seals against. If you are using the new style one-time use crush-style "heat shields", you should remove this old style seal.

My OM621 had these, which I replaced with the new style. I wish I would have left the old style in, as they can be used over and over, while the new style should be replaced every time the injector is removed. I would take the injectors out, throw away the "heat shields", and use the original seals.

As for the rattling noise, my OM621 (which is a direct decendent of your motor) does that, usually when you first start the engine and till it warms up. There's a name for that problem, but can't think of it at the moment. It's an annoyance but hasn't caused me any problems in 100,000+ miles.