View Single Post
Old 05-28-2002, 12:58 PM
Benz240D

My father knew this chemist who worked for Total Refinery. He asked him to find out the chemical compostition of WD-40. To his amasement, WD-40 is 95% fuel oil! and other ingredients.
Total refinery also made a lubricant that they used solely for themselves that had an extremely small area of penetration. Ratings are done by what is the smallest area a lubricant can penetrate.
It was, I was told the world's smallest area of penetration. Why they didn't market it, I don't know.
But I had the oportunity to try some of this stuff, totally amazing!

Water has a really small area of penetration and WD-40 supposedly is 1/4th that of water. This stuff that Total made had a rating of 1/32.

I am assuming they use water as the base-rating-standard.

CR-2 was a really great penetating lubricant, but EPA people seen how great it works so they said it was unhealthy and so we can't get it anymore.
But it has a different compound now and NAPA carries it. really good stuff, it removes some rust also. (although they don't make that claim)
Oh, before I forget it - ever have rust and want to get rid of it - anywhere? Toilet Bowl cleaner! Tidy Bowl. Squirt it on direct. And then water flush.
Have rust stain in sink or shower head rusted up? or surface rust on your car?, bolt rusted up?, yeah it works great!

I also found out some neat qualties for Brake Cleaning Fluid, that stuff in the spray can. It works great for cleaning your guns! It removes powder and dirty gunky oil from the action and barrel.
But, be pre-warned, it also removes all of the protective coating of oil that protects the metal fom rusting, so you'll want to re-oil right away.
The neat thing is that it cleans so well that it leaves virtually no residue. The active ingredient is, Naptha.
Naptha is great for cleaning any surface of oil. But watch out for those plastics! Melt down can happen!!!
It does some really wierd things to welding helmet clear lenses. Or those eye and face shield protective lenses. Nope, I didn't play around in the shop, liar.