View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 04:30 PM
(Oo=*=oO)

No elec fans + nonfunctional engine fan = quick overheat in traffic.
The twine "lockup" is a limp home repair, not a permanent fix

How does the fan positively lock to the pulley at high temps yet slip at high RPMs? I am not trying to be argumentative, just curious as to HOW it works. Cant be viscous slip between vanes (a la torque converter) because if the viscous clutch is engaged it is virtually LOCKED to the shaft, isn't it? The viscous clutch test of turning the fan while hot & engaged depends on that condition. Cannot be turned by hand w/eng off. Who has dissected one?

Mr. Dalton you seem like the kind of guy who has a non-contact tachometer - I wonder how fast the aux fans spin? I'm guessing 5-6k RPM. I vote we go "Mythbusters" on this quandary by spinning an engine fan to destruction. And yes, Arthur, I AM "brilliant", my intelligence surpassed only by my modesty. You are a great contributor to the tech forums which causes me to be especially disappointed by your affront.
Thanks,
-Tom

P.S. The statement in my previous post did not show the smilie I put in ( should be " I strongly recommend the engine OFF method ").

CWW: We are not talking about bmws here, we all know the Benz is the better built car. If you want clarification see my thread re W210 spring perch failure.

Spaces in sig so as not to screw up the SEARCH; every time someone searches for that MB they don't want my sig!

2004 Audi A8L
'98 VW Passat 1.8T 5M
'87 Alfa Romeo Milano 2.5L 5M
'67 Impala convertible, 327cid