View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 05:43 AM

Carson357,
Very well bought, nice appearance outside & inside.
BE CAREFUL with the operating temps of the DD 8V71 or 8V92. Go over 200* for short period of time and that enigne goes bye bye. I have a 6V92TA in a MCI 5C, and have researched and spoken at length with operators. The V92 series has a wet cyl liner with a O-ring at top. Too much heat and it blows. These are 2 Cycle engines which were designed in the 40's without regard to fuel consumption nor heat rejection. They will put out some heat which needs to be disipated thru the rad's. Increase your injector size ( verify under the valve cover inj size) and you may find your radiators can not expel the increased heat.
There are two(2) water pumps on this engine. If you replaced and find it over heating it may be air bound in the coolant crossover pipe. Some owners install a air release on top of this pipe.
If you want engine work or a great source of info on these engines, Don Fairchild in Bakersfield(90% sure of location) is the guy. I will PM you phone numbers. Bus conversions from all locations in USA & Canada pass thru just to have him work his magic. Wonderful person, willing to assist.
Your engine oil capacity is determined, in part, by the depth of the oil pan. Mine uses 5.5 gal. ALSO, it has been bantered about, but I listen to the oldest mech's to ONLY use a single wgt oil in these vehicles. I use Rotella 30 wgt, avail at NAPA. I would subsitute other brands, but the single weight is like gospel.

Pics later, but feel free to email or call for other tech information, generator, electrical, bus parts, etc,etc, 609 703 8989 or garypasternak@aol.com.

Best of luck with the new addition, Many many trouble free miles should be in your future with the right maint. If you are here you will be of the right mind set to maintain a bus.

Gary
'80 MCI Bus Conv DD 6V92TA, w/4 cyl. Kubota diesel GenSet 12.5KW