View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 06:03 AM
Dead on balls accurate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmckechnie View Post
I will get flamed for this but I have to give my opinion. An 18 year old car with 78K miles on it averages 4104 miles per year, 342 miles per month. At 5000K oil changes that comes out to 14.6 months per change. That also comes out to one tank of fuel per month. One year on dino oil was way to long. It should be changed at least 2 times per year.
If I had just bought that car, I would use Mobil 1 oil syn and change the filter, AND the oil at 1000 miles for the first 2 or 3 changes. That should get it cleaned out and ready for a long life. I have a 91 D with K on it and it just got back from a 1000 mile trip and didn't use any oil and got 34 mpg average. I guess I go overboard when it comes to maintenance but I wouldn't be afraid to get in either of my cars and start out across country. Combined they have over a half million miles racked up.
Paul
Actually I am doing just that with my son's 'new' 1995 Acura. When we went to change the oil i noticed that the engine is filthy! I changed it to M1 in May and am going to change it again in July (about 1000 miles for him) Then we will do it again at 3000 miles before going to a normal interval depending on how clean the engine is then.

What I can suggest is that you really look at the exposed cam and valve train when you open the oil filler and see it there is a lot of crud in there. If there is, then do the multiple oil change thing, if it looks clean, then I would not worry about it and just go to extended oil changes with M1.

Current
Monika '74 450 SL
BrownHilda '79 280SL
FoxyCleopatra '99 Chevy Suburban
Scarlett 2014 Jeep Cherokee
Krystal 2004 Volvo S60
Gone
'74 Jeep CJ5
'97 Jeep ZJ Laredo
Rudolf ‘86 300SDL
Bruno '81 300SD
Fritzi '84 BMW