View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
In your opening post of the thread, you say that your buddy measured it as 17 A. Other folks in the thread have already commented that they don't think that's particularly high.

I agree with them. It has to draw that sort of current if it's a 4500 W heater and it's operating off of typical 240 V mains.

I'm not saying that you don't have some sort of problem somewhere in your house - but 17 A to your hot water heater doesn't seem like a smoking gun to me.

As an aside, it may be perfectly normal for one element to be running and the other one not to be under some conditions; it depends on how they're set up.
c
Now that we are on the subject. The reason I had my ac and heater checked is that we installed a new high efficiency AC last year, same size as the old one, house is cooling off better than before. Yet month every month the new ac unit has been in, my electric bill is higher than the same months of the previous year with the old ac.

My buddy told me that the water heater could be the main reason. Conflicting reports. All I know is I have one less person living here and my bill keeps going up and up.

I was told by a guy at Home depot the 17 amo was too high. ?????