View Single Post
Old 06-01-2002, 01:05 PM

Amsoil & 15W-40

Here in Portland you can buy all the Amsoil you want over the counter @ GI Joe's... It is usually on sale every other month or so.

I, too, have been using HD 15W-40 SJ/CH oils in my '91 420 SEL with the 7,500 mile change intervals: it leaks not a drop, uses none, looks clean as a whistle in the drain pan and hardly evidences even much of a color change. Mercedes has so many different specs for different models (a 500E is a pretty hot motor if I recall) & I can surely see why this seems to be an area for continued discussion. But I keep reading articles that all seem to agree that the additive packages in the SJ/CH spec oils provide the finest protection and are the longest lasting available in the dinosaur-based products. NAPA sells this stuff on Saturdays for $1.09 a quart.

After reading these boards I'm seriously considering changing the interval to something more like 5K miles... Know of a good source for oil filters in quantity? The best I've found is from Performance Products (www.************************) @ $5.41 each for 5 or more.