View Single Post
Old 06-01-2002, 04:56 PM
Marsala

Lightbulb Is there a worthy replacement for the 190E 2.6?

So my 190E 2.6 turned FIFTEEN this month...

I know that's only 2/3 of its life (if even), but I've been toying with the idea of finding a suitable replacement. Some of you may think this a non-issue as an MB (pre Chrysler) is forever.

What do you guys think is a proper "new" 190E 2.6? Something with a beautiful engine, handling, and low weight (hence reasonable fuel econ). Similar power-to-weight ratio, brilliant engineering, and bulletproof reliability. Things I like about newer cars include OBD2, folding rear seats, remote entry.. and lots of those other creature comforts in modern luxury cars like one-touch windows. Sound like some dream car, huh? Everyone has their own dream car.. even Homer Simpson (did he design the new Toyotas?)

Also, modern cars are a tad safer, and pollute a LOT less. There was a Crash Science program on TLC and a clip of the crash scene of this one guy that killed himself in his 190E ont he highway (difficult to watch). I did emissions research as an engineering student and my car is equivalent to something like 10 new ULEV Honda Civics (if not more).

Oh and let's not forget the prestige value of the 190E.. Classy but not flashy, upon closer inspection revealing the three-point star, and easily confused with the 300E.

Well, I've gone on long enough. Hope to hear from you guys.