View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 02:40 AM
General Purpose Geek

I am in the middle of something similar. I have a 380 that I bought with a flat lobe on the RH side at the rear. I replaced the cam with an aftermarket cam and all new rockers. I think that I did a darned good job and this lasted about 30K miles (if I would have done a bad job, professional mechanics told me that I would find out very, very quickly). Now, I've had the same problem come up. Same side, same lobe. I'm replacing it again, this time with a used MB cam and one new rocker (all the others looked good). This is the LAST time I'm doing this on this engine. I replace my oil and filter every 3K without fail.

Needless to say, I, too, worry about retorquing. I don't know how many times I can get lucky.

I think that the oil tube is very tricky to reinstall. You MUST use new oil tube fittings every time you remove them. They are NOT reinstallable. Also, they need to fit down ALL THE WAY. You have to really tap pretty hard with a rubber mallet to make that happen. I cleaned the oil tube to the point where it appeared surgically spotless the first time but this time I'm not taking any chances and I'm replacing it with a new one. Under a magnifying glass, I can see that someone (the PO) may have screwed with the holes and enlarged at least one.

I'm worried about ZDDP additives being removed from oil. After I do this, I'm using Diesel oil, which still has it (google ZDDP). I may also think about having the oil pan dropped and cleaned out. This is a pretty expensive job. I worry about junk clogging the screen and possibly starving oil at highway speeds. I KNOW that I have at least some pieces of a plastic chain guide down there.
Daily Driver Project

http://juliepalooza.8m.com/sl/mercedes.htm