View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 01:14 AM

Exhaust cam timing

Hey guys,
I have the option of making an adjustable cam gear for my turbo M111 engine(ex kompressor),the reason i want to make it adjustable is because i believe the timing on the exhaust has been setup to work best with the SC/low exhaust backpressure and may let out a few hp if tweeked .though i have a few questions i need to sort before i decide to go ahead and make it happen.

-Im not sure how far to make it adjustable...somewhere between 4 and 8 degrees sounds logical?.

-Trying to gauge how much valve clearance vs intake valve or vs piston is not the easiest task for me,so once installed i plan to adjust the intake and exhaust gear full advance/retard and turn the engine over by hand while on the engine stand,any thoughts?

-Advancing the exhaust may shorten overlap somewhat which may help the situation with a turbo...though it will also open the exhaust earlier which may not help so there may be minimal gains if any...has anyone here had much experiance with exhaust cam timing?

I managed to score an exhaust sprocket that would be suitable for machining,it has the same timing as my orignial just much more meat around the bolts,im wondering if its worth slotting 6 bolts instead of just the 3,will need to drill the end of the cam flange too accomodate the 6 bolt design but thats no problem however i will need to remove the locating dowel which im not so keen about.

New Gear:

Original:

Cheers,
Paul