View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 02:20 AM
Banned

Just did it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by locry View Post
ok... so i pulled into the office garage early morning and noticed a weird RPM related squeal... found that the tensioner was cocked to one side... good thing the belt didn't derail on me mid trip...

anyway, i will attempt to replace the tensioner after office hours... it's an 87 300TD... from what i've read so far this is the gameplan:

loosen shroud to access the FAN
somehow stop the fan from rotating...jam the belt at the power steering pulley?
(replacing the belt anyway)
remove fan with an 8mm or 10mm allen?
remove belt...
remove PULLEY from tensioner before removing tensioner...
remove tensioner using what? 12mm hex?

i have to be absolutely sure about the sizes because i will have to buy these... my tools are at home...

thanks
Pull the pin holding the outer and inner shrouds in place, rotate the inner shroud, remove two metal clips holding outer shroud to radiator, remove outer shroud, remove inner shroud, loosen and remove the fan bolt and fan, loosen tensioner pulley bolt, loosen and remove tensioner pivot block nut slide bolt to the rear while using lug wrench handle to relieve tension, remove tensioner pully bolt and tensioner pulley, loosen and remove shock top bolt, rotate tensioner clockwise, remove shock bottom bolt and shock, loosen tensioner center bolt while removing tensioner. Check the belt Auto Zone has it 2145 mm 6 Poly V

You can use the serpentine belt and a pair of vice grips to make a strap type wrench to hold the fan pulley, take the belt off first then pad the jaws if you will be reusing the belt.

Fan bolt is 8 mm Allen
Tensioner pulley is 6 mm Allen
Tensioner is 12 mm Allen

The lug wrench handle fits the tensioner pivot block hole

13 mm tensioner pivot block bolt and shock top bolt

11 mm shock lower bolt

3/8" drive 4-10 mm Allen set from Auto Zone
1/2" drive 12/14/17 mm Allen

If you have a Harbor freight close by get this tool:

Pulley Spinning Tool ITEM 66385-0VGA $7.99 on Sale now!
Ideal for holding or spinning the crankshaft and camshaft on motors using deep forged pulleys.
Applicable for Mercedes Benz, VW, Audi, BMW, Ford, Opel, Peugeout, Renault, Volvo and Japanese cars
Long handle for extra leverage
Overall dimensions: 13-1/16" L x 1-1/2" W x 1-1/2" T; Handle length: 4-5/8"; Jaw opening: Min. 1/4", Max. 7/8"; Pry bar dimensions: 13-1/16" L x 1-5/8" W x 15/16" T
Weight: 0.87 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
603 Belt Tensioner office emergency-66385.gif