View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Out of Garage Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W. View Post
. . . Except... I'm developing a knock in my engine which is getting worse. Sounds like the recent GM V8's with piston slap before warmup, except mine is not that! I think, unfortunately, that some of my grenaded vacuum pump shrapnel may have blocked an oil passage somewhere and I may be developing a bad rod or main bearing. Ugh. This is one of the best car's I've ever had, and it runs like a champ, I still wind it up to 5K once a week to do the Italian tuneup. That may have to stop, however... It will be a shame if I have to give up this car due to a catastrophic engine failure. So close to 300,000. I will bite the bullet and have it checked by my indy.

Rgds,
Chris W.
'95 E300D, 293K
I wonder if synthetic oil will help. I don't know, I'm no oil expert, just a thought.

How do you guage when it is time to stop and get fuel at the end of a tank? If it was me, I would carry a supply of diesel in the trunk just in case. I was actually doing this last year when I needed to change the vent and return lines under the tank and I wanted the least amount of fuel in the tank when I got under there. I did run out of fuel a few times before I got around to changing the lines. It is not that big a deal, but can be dangerous depending on where you drive. If you run out while making a left turn in traffic, that can be big trouble and dangerous. If you are just driving on the highway or a country road with a good shoulder, not as big a deal. When I did run out and had to get out and pour some fuel in, it took a bit of cranking to get the fuel back up to the engine.
15 Subaru Outback 43K
11 Subaru Outback 67K
98 Ford Taurus 100K (Gertie - Was Grandma's - drove it to church and shopping - really) Daughter's car now.
30 Model A Ford 2 Door Sedan (Sold) 0-60 in . . . Never reached 60