View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squabble View Post
from a total newbie to mechanical work.....what does that mean? what's a prechamber collar?

what are the symptoms if that happens?

i ask this to learn first but also because after yanking on those injectors yesterday, i've somehow created a coolant leak that i can't track down. are these things related or was it just a freak accident? i was yanking hard enough to rock the whole engine in its mounts.

maybe it is just a coincidence....

it's not coming from the t-stat, weep holes, or bypass line. it's dripping down the passenger side of the engine and hitting the oil pan and dripping to the ground from there. i can't seem to find the source anywhere, it happened after the engine cooled down completely, leaving a big puddle in the morning and dripping about 1 drip per 45 seconds to a minute...
If your Injectors are still out you can take a look and see for yourself.
The part that the Injector screws into on the Engine is actually the Screw In collar that Retains the Precombustion Chamber.

If you look at it you will see 1 slot on each side for the special tool that is needed to remove the Collar.

If the Injector is stuck bad enough it is possible it could loosen the Collar.
This is not a major problem except that you would still need to remov the Injector from the Collar and would also need the Special Tool to tighten the Collar back down.

To prevent your new Injectors from sticking apply some anti/Never-Seeze type compound (sold in any Auto Parts store in a tube) to the outside theads on the Injector.

On my 84 300D I would look at the Heater Hoses that are right above the Oil Filter Housing and the ones attached to the Fire Wall and those Steel Tubes that they connect to as a possible source of Coolant leaks.

I took the below pic when I was trying to get an idea as to how far in my Glow Plug reamer might be going; but, you can see the hole the Injector came out of and the Precombustion Chamber Retaing ring with the 2 slots on it (one slot is visable at the top the other is partially covered by the Glow Plug reamer).

Last edited by Diesel911; 08-24-2009 at 12:52 AM.