View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 04:33 PM

Pulling at straws here: Any old typewriter techs on board?

Hi all, remember me, the old head-chopping moderator?
Hey, I'm pulling at straws here, have been searching a LOT on the net for info.
What I have is an IBM Selectric III typewriter that I use on rare occasions to type out title strips for my jukebox (NOT like a CD Jukebox you have in your home, the kind that you used to put MONEY in and it played a record, THAT kind of jukebox).
And yeah I know, I can get the computer to do that for me now, I am resisting change, so bear with me.
So, geez they say these Selectrics are real pieces of mechanical art, too. I have the cover off and they are kind of neat and would really like to give it a go at repairing it. I'm sure many here remember learning how to type on these things in high school (if you're old enough anyways). The thing has TWO electrical parts, an electric motor and the switch, that's ALL. Everything else is mechanical, pretty cool. A diesel guy would probably love it.
But anyways, I have tried searching for answers on the net in various places, and thought I would ask here, just by chance any one here has worked on these or maybe know someone who did. Back in the 70s I'm sure there were lots of people making a good living working on Selectrics. I sort of see what's going on with it but no good idea on how to properly repair it. I've taken it apart as much as I dare at this point.
Gilly