View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 08:17 PM

Sure thing Lim, hey I'll just get a box of crayons.

OK, I didn't know if anyone would be familiar with these, and yeah I can get wordy at times.

The carriage doesn't advance or return. I am unsure what even makes the carriage advance.

The problem started out when I was just typing with it to make sure it worked OK (it was fine at first), then found the carriage would not return to the left when hitting the return key nor backing up with the "back" key.

There is something that I found out is called the tab cord, I ruined that, my fault not the machines. It was not on the plastic spool that it runs on, it was all tangled up in the gears when I took it apart. I see how it is supposed to be routed and did have it attached to the spool at least once. I am not sure if this is what advances the carriage though.

OK, then there is the return cable. It came off of the metal spool that it is supposed to run on (was hanging loose). In addition there is a large coiled up band spring that wraps on the shaft that extends out from the metal spool. I assume because the return cable came off, there is no tension on the spring and that has now come off. Again I see the routing of the return cable (the guide spools and so forth) and how the cable attaches to the spool, but can't figure out how this all is supposed to be put together, I have made several attempts doing the work in various orders. I do see how the spring in back attaches to the frame also.

Gilly