View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybeck View Post
hello

i have a 1985 300TD wagon and I think the accelerator cable has stretched out over the years. I press down an inch or two before there is any response.

I have a chilton and haynes manual and neither have any info on adjusting the accelerator cable. I looked under the hood and it doesn't seem obvious like I've seen in some cars where you just loosen the screw, adjust the cable, and tighten the screw. in fact it appears that the cable is extended when the gas pedal is pressed, rather than being pull in as usual.

if anyone has any pointers on this, i'd really appreciate it!
thanks
gary in vermont
Hi
I also have a 1985 300td with the same situation where the accelerator is depressed almost an inch before there is any change in engine speed. In my case the lag is in the assembly on top of the valve cover where there is a roller that works in a slot. The linkage moves to no effect until the roller has crossed to the other side and then it begins to move the linkage to the injector pump. I questioned the forum on this before but received no good answer as to how to correct. The FSM has a detailed instruction on adjusting the linkage but doesn't address my problem.
Cheers, Joseph
Attached Thumbnails
300TD Wagon - How to tighten accelerator cable?-p1020369%5B1%5D.jpg   300TD Wagon - How to tighten accelerator cable?-p1020370%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by jkubica; 09-12-2009 at 01:31 PM.