View Single Post
Old 06-18-2002, 08:45 AM
LarryBible

I'm with Ken on this. I got frustrated trying to get the tire store kids to balance the wheels dynamically. I got a used Coats 1001 balancer and I can now run any vehicle in my stable as fast as it will go and the tires run silk smooth.

It amazes me how many of these jocks insist on increasing tire vibration by statically balancing with weights ONLY on the inboard lip. This almost always aggravates the dynamic balance making the wheel wobble.

I expect that the Michelins are fine at Costco. Their good pricing is most likely due to volume purchasing. They probably buy in such volume that there are people with Michelin distribution that call them when they overstocked with particular tire sizes/models.

I got a set of Continentals at a dirt cheap price from tire rack and when I asked why they were so cheap they told me it was a truck load purchase. The tire companies as do any manufacturer have to keep the plant running. So, occasionally they have to cut their margins to cover for a particular situation.

Has anyone ever read "The Goal?" If you read it you will understand how this sometimes happens in manufacturing.

Have a great day,