View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 04:12 PM
High Maintenance

I've now come to the conclusion that the number one reason to choose a W123 diesel over a W115 is the oil filter. It's followed by a close second by location of the heater blower motor and third by the addition of a turbo.

My full-flow filter was missing when I got my car. I never knew it was supposed to be there until I read through these forums. Even my Mercedes expert mechanic never said anything. Hopefully oil changes had been done often enough that the oil never would have gone thru the bypass, but who knows.

A couple questions: Does turning the wheels to the right as you say really make a difference? I always have to jockey the filter can around to get it out from between the crossarm or whatever other frame stuff is up there - it seems to be a tight fit.

Has anyone ever done the filter change with the car on the ground (not ramps or jacked up)? I've been lucky to borrow a friend's lift in the past, but my luck isn't going to last. I prefer ramps to jack/jackstands but not sure if the angle of the car on ramps will make it difficult.

Also, does anyone have their oil pressure gauge peg QUICKLY after a cold start? Mine always reads zero for a few seconds and then shoots up - I've seen the same on most cold start videos on YouTube on W115 diesels, but not W123's or other MB diesels. Wonder if there is a drainback device that has worn out? And yes I do change the O-ring & washers.