View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 09:42 AM
The Love Doctor

300cd parts car question

I think I found a 300cd parts car. It's a 1984 with 282,000 miles on it. I'm told there is rust on the jackpoints, so i suspect it isn't going to pass inspection in PA.

Seller wants $1450 for it, but I get the feeling it's negotiable. How much should I expect to pay for a parts 300cd? I assume they will be more than a 300d. It's an hour drive, so I might go check it out after I'm done seeing patients this morning.

My concerns:

1. I really want this car for certain hard to get items, such as the rear windsheild, which is fogging at the bottom on mine and in need of a seal replacement...leaks. Also, the inside paneling. It has the same palamino interior as my car...not sure what kind of condition it is in. My driver's side door panel has a map pocket that is hanging off due to someone breaking the door clip. My center console has been refinished, but it's missing the pin to hold it in, and the wood is broken near one of the window switches to the edge. I'm hoping that the chrome moulding will be in better shape than mine, but I'm not holding my breath. I could use a rear right caliper replacement, as that brake pad is wearing unevenly to the rest of the pads.

2. Is paying $1450 for a 300cd parts car outrageous? It's hard to get some 300cd parts, so I'm thinking paying this much will give me peace of mind when things break on my baby.

3. My biggest concern is that I'll get this car, and then will become compulsive and set about restoring it rather than stripping it for parts. $1700 or $1800 for rubber seals, $3K paint job, rust repair, and God knows what else later, could I get enough $ back on the resale to make it worth my while? I know this is all conjecture, because for all I know, the floors are rusted through and it's only really good for parts.

What do you guys think? Should I go there with $750 in cash?