View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeith72 View Post
OK, so if the box is my issue, which pertronix kit would work? Anyone have one installed? I was looking at the models on their site, only 1 is advertised to eliminate "the box", but has limited applications (Ignitor III).

thanks!

Jason
Jason,

I have a Pertronix on my '72 SL which has same M117 engine.

You should be using an Ignitor 1 model 1885. (Some have used the Ignitor 2, but there is some reason not to (Do a search on this site - I think Arthur Dalton gave the reason at one time.)

There is no need to eliminate the MB "switchbox" (ignition module) - The Ignitor can be used just as a points replacement. Wire like this ( I think I have red on other side of resistor - but all you want, is a good 12v feed):

More info in this thread :
Pertronix Install on Early 107's (with a working tach)

If you suspect the "switchbox" has failed (unlikely), then the Ignitor can be wired to replace both points and the switchbox. As GGR said, the MB coil is non standard, so it is best to replace it with a conventional coil if you go this route. Pertronix sell Flamethrowers, but probably any conventional coil would work at least for a test. You then wire as per the Pertronix instructions with resistors and switchbox out of circuit. (Tach may not work, but that can be addressed later)

One thing - don't leave ignition switch turned on with Pertronix in circuit - it could burn the unit out.

Seeing you don't have engine running, for timing, I would suggest you rotate the distributor as far CCW as it will go, then back about 1/8" in slot and clamp it there. That would give you about 5deg BTDC or thereabouts.

Also double check that the wires from distributor to plugs are in proper locations. And that when engine is at TDC on balancer, that rotor points to mark on distributor at about 1 o'clock facing engine.