View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Registered Biodiesel User

I don't really see much difference in maintenance, engine-wise. The 617 requires an occasional valve adjustment but glow plugs require more work to change in the 603. Both require oil and filter changes and all of the other "usual suspects." The SDL will have more creature comforts, which are nice until they break.

For these two specific cars, I'd look closely at expensive things like the a/c and the sunroof. Air conditioning repairs can eat up a couple of thousand dollars very quickly, unless you have the skills and license to DIY. It's not a difficult license to obtain but not too many of us on the forum have one, I suspect.

If either the SD or the SDL has the same early pop-up sunroof as the 124 chassis (and I do not know if either does), reliability was not up to Mercedes usual standards (the later design in the W210 is much better) and repairs are very expensive. OTOH, you can survive w/o a sunroof. A/C may be another matter, depending on where you live.

These are both the 126 chassis, aren't they? There should be a lot of similarities making comparison easier. Budget at least $1000 for the a/c on the '84. It would be nice if you could arrange for an independent mechanic (meaning, someone working for you, not the seller) to do a pre-purchase inspection. Ask about paperwork showing evidence of past servicing. Any car this old has to have had something break and if there are records you have a better idea of how well the POs cared for the car.

"Buster" in the '95

Our all-Diesel family
1996 E300D (W210) . .338,000 miles Wife's car
2005 E320 CDI . . 113,000 miles My car
Santa Rosa population 176,762 (2022)
Total. . . . . . . . . . . . 627,762
"Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz."
-- Janis Joplin, October 1, 1970