View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Moderating, Eh?

IMO - Husky, do yourself a favor and grab a comfy chair and start reading. If you've been off the tech curve, it can take a while to catch up. HardForums is a great place for detailed info, as is anandtech.com. ASUS is a solid name, great mobos. Video cards are very cheap now, depending on your needs. If you're not a gamer, you can get a great card for $100 or less. RAM is cheap, get plenty (4 GB) especially if you are going to run a 64-bit OS.

Do yourself a favor and buy a new, solid power supply. New components need both a substantial amount of power and also constant power. Nothing like a fluctuating 12V rail to have you tearing your PC apart looking for reasons why it keeps suddenly hanging up...

I use Antec power supplies, they have a wide range of units to suit any need, and the build quality is excellent.

The Newegg.com suggestion is a great one - see what is popular and in your budget. Then take the time to read reviews on the aforementioned forums and find out if their are any model-specific quirks. Then build your system. Shop around for deals. If you are buying a new monitor, check out Dell and look for coupons online and discounts, they always have deals going on.

Have fun!
1998 E430 - sold
1989 300E - 333,000 Km - sold
1977 280E - sold
1971 250 - retired

"And a frign hat. They gave me a hat at the annual benefits meeting. I said. how does this benefit me. I dont have anything from the company.. So they gave me a hat." - TheDon