97 C230--Electric cooling fan questions
97 C230, 90,000 miles
I just recently suffered major A/C failure. While compressor failure is the most likely cause, I want to rule out other systems that effect A/C operation that could cause the compressor to lock up. I am particularly interested in air flow through the condenser. This car does not have a belt drive fan. In fact, only has one electric cooling fan. I "assume" this fan is variable speed and is controlled by engine temp and climate control (A/C switch). I also "assume" there is a relay somewhere that runs the fan. I want to verify proper operation of this fan since it is possible that poor air flow could have caused my compressor to overheat and lock-up. (BTW: I know for sure it is locked up tight).
1. Where is the relay that runs the electric cooling fan?
2. What temp does the fan first turn on?
3. Is it multi-speed? If so, what temp or condition controls the speed?
4. What is considered normal operating temperature for this car? (Owners manual does not say)
5. Does the A/C switch (climate control) also turn the cooling fan on? If so, what speed?
Thanks for any and all help.