View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 04:56 PM
ಠ_ಠ

Water pump question (OM617)

I am in the midst of replacing my water pump. I cannot seem to get at the bottom-most bolt. This is the one in back of the crank pulley - not enough clearance to get a socket in, yet the water pump housing has sort of a ridge in it, so can't get a good grip with a box wrench or pliers. How do you get at it?? I thought about removing the alternator but I don't think it would help.

Back story: went to go check out a 300SD from fellow forum member and ironically my water pump decided to fail then and there, about 90 minutes from home. Limped it home using a lot of water. It did hit 100* once on the trip back, but it seems to be okay still, don't see any milkiness in oil. This all stemmed (I think) from my radiator cap not venting. I came out one day to a coolant leak and when I opened up the expansion cap, FOOOOSH tons of pressure, surely beyond the spec 14 psi and that was after sitting all night. It eventually blew out the little radiator hose from water pump to t-stat housing, and blew the seal on my water pump which I am replacing now.

P.S. Many thanks to Rick for helping me with jugs of water to limp home!
- 2007 Saturn sky redline
- 2004 Explorer...under surgery.

Past: 135i, GTI, 300E, 300SD, 300SD, Stealth