View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 01:08 AM

[QUOTE=soothappens;2336363]No more cat I promise . I specialize in hydraulics industrial and mobile.went to school for gassers. I drive diesels , and for five years I've been Trying to get this mercedes from A to B , key word trying. I have done everything in this forum checked and double checked clearances , injectors , pump timing ,head gasket .

The other day found a 21 page thread on 27mm releif spring and video from cervan on barrel adjust and ( good god that was a read ) taa daa ! this thing is smooth as glass at idle.

Also the powerband is amazing ,and went from 20mpg to 28-29. top end is higher and water temp stays right under 80C . just cant believe all that from so little.

In short forgive my ignorance I recently joined this forum (mainly because I havent a clue how these computers work...son set up account)I'm here to learn and knowledge from someone whos done it is what I need, so keep it coming !!!!![/QUOTE]

In the Factory Service Manual there is a test for the Fuel Supply Pump System and the Overflow Valve Pressure.
Before you tweaked the Overflow Valve spring did the test show that it was not up to pressure?
I am not saying this to be an Axx but I am guessing that the pressure test on the Overflow Valve was not done.

As far a ignorance goes I am here to learn also; and I help when I can.

In my case I lucked out while I was going to Tradeschool learnig Diesel Mechanics I got a job in a Fuel Injection Shop and ended up working there for 5 years. (We also did other things besides Fuel Injection.)
But, getting back to your origional Post and my Post #4 people; Mechanics are going to tell you all kinds of stuff. The only way to weed out what is resonable and what is not is to understand how stuff works and how all that stuff works together.

I am going to go back to the use of that Heat Gun to measure the Exhaust Temp as a way to set your Fuel Injection Pump.
What are the list of things that would have an effect on your Exhaust temp?

If I put a brand new Fuel Injection Pump on my well used 84 300D I would not expect my Exhaust temps to all be the same (even though the Fuel Injection Pump is within specs) because of those other factors a differance in Cylinder Compression between Cylinders being one of them.

It would not make sense (to me) to adjust my Fuel Injection Pump Fuel quanity so that all my Exhausts had the same temp when it could be the difference in compression causing the temp differance.

So if another Mechanic told me that you should set up you Fuel Injection Pump that way I would not do it.

Last edited by Diesel911; 11-11-2009 at 01:35 AM.