View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 06:55 PM

W140...Quest begins, total confusion

OK so Im really considering a W140 but know virtually nothing about them.

Ive got an 87 300D right now and would never sell it except that I need 3 car seats across the back. So I bought an awesome 87 SDL...which sat in my driveway for 6 weeks while I tried to sell the 124.

The moment I put the SDL up for sale to free up space in the driveway (and not keep worrying about it getting broken into), it sells.

So now Im back to square 1. The 1st step (this time) will be to get rid of the 124. But my next step would then be to acquire another diesel big enough for 3 car seats across.

Oh yeah..Im kinda stuck on the monowiper thing. Crazy I know, but I'd be really sad to depart with that. Ive thought about a wagon but cant for 2 reasons - 1, the oldest isnt old enough to ride back in the jump seat. 2, a wagon isnt a good WVO candidate because the tank would be in the passenger cabin. So its got to be a sedan (I think)

Which leads us to the W140 faster than you can say "rod bender".

I checked some vehicle dimensions, unless Im reading this wrong, is the W140 91-92 300 SD actually WIDER than than the SDL ? It says its 74.3" wide, versus 71.7" wide for the SDL. But from pictures, the W140 looks tiny compared to the SDL. Like a 4 seater, max. What years did this rod bender diesel come to the US?

What else (other than rod bending) should I be worried about? Is there a good W140 site I can reference to learn more about it? Ive seen all wikepedia has to offer, which aint much.