View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 10:12 AM
2004 Crossfire

Beckman unlocked my ECU and then he used remote access so that he could program the ECU from his office in Durham NC. We are still chasing one last problem but have learned a lot about what is possible and was in not. My V8 conversion is the third and first outside of Germany. The first one was done by Brabus and they aren't talking but I believe I followed their approach. The other on which also is in Germany involved taking all the modules plus the trans and rear end from a CLK55. the reason I believe I followed the Brabus route is that to start my car, I turn the key on and then have to jump the starter. The Brabus car also does not crank from the key and has a starter button. The other problem with the Brabus car and mine is that it takes some cranking before it starts. I am guessing that because we are not going through the ECU to crank, the cam and crank sensor are having to learn their sync with each start. One think we learned is that the Corssfire/SLK's use the older switchblade key and just about every Mercedes with the 113 three valve V8 uses the newer infared key and on these cars the start signal goes through the CAN while the start signal on the Crossfire goes through a regular circut. The only vehicle that used the 113 engine with the older key is the ML 163 chassis's. We are going to try an ECU from a ML430 as it looks like it has the same ECU pinout and the SLK/Crossfire.

We were able to change the rear gear ratio in the ECU as well as program the Crossfire tire size of 225 40 18 front and 255 35 19 rear and transmission, and associate all the other modules to the ECU as well as program in the Chrysler VIN number into the MB ECU. This was mostly done in developer mode using varient coding in German. A person could do this themselves it they had one of the cloned Star DAS system available on Ebay and other places.

From what I have seen this approach works well if you want to put something like a 55 kompressor or SLR engine in a chassis that at least used the same family of ECU. the 112 V6's and 113 V8 use the Bosch ME 2.8 family of ECU's. For swaping modern engines into older cars, I think it would be easier to swap the evarything or go with a stand alone ECU to run the engine. I not sure about the older cars but these newer ones have very complicated immobilization systems.

I will let you all know how the ML ECU works out. It would be nice if we are able to take this swap past what Brabus was able to acheive.