View Single Post
Old 06-27-2002, 09:48 PM
thevilla

diesel newbie needing advice

hello gentlemen,

i recently purchased a 1985 300d turbo for $500 with 267k.
she ran and looked like a $500 mercedes and had a #1 injector line leaking like a fountain. surprisingly it went down the road well and i felt sorry for it.
having no previous service history, i changed all the fluids, filters, the leaking injector line, and adjusted the valves which were all tight. the engine seemed to run much better but i knew that it still wasn't right.
using a long screwdriver i listened to each cylinder and #1 was nailing. at this point i felt it was time to check the injectors and compression. using the bosch tester, all injectors passed spray,
leak, and pressure test. i now had a sinking feeling.
much to my dismay, the old motometer compession tester confirmed my worst thoughts. the #1 cylinder was 100psi and the rest varied between 240psi-300psi, hot of course.
since i am not familiar with this particular engine, are there any other thoughts? would i be wasting my time to pull the head for inspection? can the oil pan be removed with the engine in the car for a quick ring job and a valve lap?
any help or advice greatly appreciated! btw, this is a great site and keep up the good work.
regards,
rob