View Single Post
Old 06-27-2002, 11:29 PM
SV

Did MB just completely forget about the performance of the non AMG models?

I was looking at the article of the new CLK in Motor Trend. The CLK320 now weighs some 300 lbs. more than it used to, but still has the same engine as the W208. Does this bother anyone else? If you look at all the new cars that are coming out in the 29-40K range and compare it to the CLK, you'll be dissapointed in terms of performance. I know the CLK isn't all about speed and power, but still. Look at the BMW 330ci or the new infinity G35. And well, now that I think about it, MB has not improved the performance of their cars for a while now.

Other car makers (especially japanese ones) have really crept up and are making some cars with serious power. The Acura CL Type-S has 260, the G35 has 260, the 330ci has a lot less but makes up for it by offering a manual transmission and a good power/weight ratio. Even though MB is improving on the design and technology of the cars, they haven't improved the performance of the non AMG models for a loooooong time. The cars are actually getting slower (just look at the W203 C240 and the W202 C230K, and the new CLK320 and E320). I know MB isn't supposed to be a sports car and this and that, so lets not talk about that. I'm saying performance in their cars has been an important part of MB's history. It just seems like MB ijust wants to put out new cars for the yuppies who buy it just to say they have a Mercedes-Benz. Where's the performance? Who the hell cares about distronic cruise control? Where are the all new engines? If only they would think how they did in the 80's with the W124 when no car came close to the 300E. That's the kind of mentality they should have.

If I were spending 40K on a new car I most likely wouldn't get a MB anymore. Kinda scary because I have always prefered MB over other cars. I hope i'm not the only one with this opinion.