View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexHart View Post
I had one question I couldn't find an answer to: What year did Mercedes change the glow-plugs from the loop-style to the pin-type on the 240D? Some 240Ds work with the pin-type, but older ones work with the loop-style. What year did this change happen? Also, was there an associate change in the engine itself? Do some years have more power than others? What year should I go with?

Thanks in advance.
My '79 had loop style plugs, my '83 has pin type. I don't think they are interchangeable as the plug bore (and plug) for the loop style was larger- unless there is some kind of "adapter" I'm not aware of. The engine went from 62 HP (1977 to 1980) to 67 HP (1981-1983) I don't think there is any real noticeable difference between the two though.

The most important things in choosing a car is maintenance history and lack of rust EVER. Cars that have had rust repairs (even though they look good after a repaint) are doomed to have a recurrence. I chased rust in my '79 for years before I finally gave up. If you want a really pristine example, be prepared to pay up.

J.G.