View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Accruing prurient interes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman View Post
NC has little snow. Go slow & you'll be fine.
Negative. The mountains in WNC offer conditions every bit as bad as the great lakes midwest. I grew up in OH and have spent plenty of time in MI and IL. The main difference is that it rarely gets below -10 here.

I will agree that lots of people in this region have no idea how to drive in the snow though...

The key reason you can "run what you brung" in chitown and other places is that its FLAT. No amount of skill or snow tires will get a RWD vehicle around when it dumps in the mountains.

When it gets this bad, 4wd AND chains is really your only bet. I saw at least 2 6wd plow trucks fail to make it past the first 1/4 mile of my gravel road this morning after I skied down to my subaru and shoveled it out so I could back it down the hill. If they'd had chains they would have been fine, but they didn't (don't ask me why, pretty amateur)...

Now I'm off to work, where I'll have to remind myself that the 10' of frozen, white material underneath the snowcat is "little snow." And that anyone with some skill and some blizzaks could be showing up DOT trucks with a lil' old W123...