View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 07:29 PM

240D Turbo Odyssey

After being inspired by Graminal (240dt) I decided to go down the 240D Turbo route myself. Its been slow going due to limited time and learning along the way, but slowly I've been gather parts and getting closer . . .

Some observations:

1. If you already have a pre-fabbed 240D turbo exhaust manifold, this is a pretty straightforward project. If you don't, it isn't.
2. I do not have access to welding on my own - so I am paying for those machine / welding services. If I had a place to do it, it would have been cheaper to buy my own welder and learn to weld. When I took a 300TD exhaust manifold to be modified for a 240D I realized just how far of a stretch this was - in fact, I think it would be largely impossible (see #3). If anyone has been successful in doing this, please tell me how.
3. Because of #2, I started looking for other alternatives. It seems that the 1968-1973 220 exhaust manifold (unmodified picture attached - at least that is what I think it is - I'm not sure if it is a Diesel manifold, or gas - I believe ones very similar to what I have, without the strange flat top outlet, exist, but I only found that out after I had bought mine) might be a possibility when modified. Modifications include an adapter from the exhaust outlet to the Turbo (as small as possible for shock tower clearance), and massaging the mounting holes to work with the 240D cylinder head exhaust manifold mounting holes as well as coming up with a cover for that strange top outlet (if anyone knows what this is, or does, I would be curious). Still, its going to be very tight against the shock tower, if fits at all. This remains to be seen.

If I ever get this done I will post a parts list as well as modifications (and pictures) that I made to the exhaust manifold in case anyone ever goes down this road again.

If anyone has come up with a better turbo exhaust manifold solution to this issue, let me know. At this point, doing this has become a quest. I've got a modified oil pan, a modified oil filter assembly outlet, and a GT2252 turbo with 3" exhaust ready to go. I never thought the space in a 240D engine bay would be an issue - but here I am.

Thanks to everyone on this Forum - I've only gotten as far as I have because of you guys.
Attached Thumbnails
240D Turbo Odyssey-img_2987.jpg