View Single Post
Old 07-02-2002, 05:53 PM
mbz380se

218 bhp from 3.2 liters is still a totally respectable output in a SOHC V-6. Hell, a C320 or an E320 will stomp on a W126 560SEL from 0-60. I think the C320 has decent performance for its engine size...0-60 is what, 6.9 seconds? That's right with a BMW 330i Steptronic. Ditto for the E320 vs. BMW 530i...low 7's 0-60 mph in both of them.

I don't know what Badinfo says about "turning"....maybe this is some reference to skidpad grip as per Car and Driver, albeit VERY vaguely worded. What I do know is that I can throw my full-size W126 luxury sedan at a corner and the front A-arms and multi-link rear help it have a pretty high level of ultimate grip, combined with Bridgestone Potenzas. The car is a little big for switchbacked canyon roads, but will pull through high speed sweepers very well at illegal rates of speed. Of course, it is accompanied by body roll, but no matter how hard I've pushed the car, I've barely ever elicited a squeal from any of the tires in a corner. So Benzes have skidpad grip a few hundredths of a G lower than BMWs. Does that mean anything to anyone who actually drives these cars in the real world? Probably not too much. Indeed, in a comparison test of BMW M5, Mercedes E55, and Jaguar XJR, the Benz and Bimmer had IDENTICAL skidpad grip of 0.9 g.

The problem with the new CLK is that it's getting heavier. Where the hell is all the weight coming from, and is it necessary?

-Sam