View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Rogue T Tolerant

Quote:
Originally Posted by topanga View Post
Yeah, this is where being a stupid girl starts to suck. I bought a bunch of new glow plugs but I can't quite get to the GPs to test them. I bought a voltmeter and all -- just can't get at the GPs. I need to replace the primer pump and then I'd be all set to take off the fuel lines and get at the glow plugs BUT I can't get the old primer pump off. Yes, I've read all about GPs and the pumps at DG, NO, I can't do it. Frustrating.
Definitely understand where you're coming from. My relay is located in the engine bay on the driver's side near the head lights. When I was having rough starts a couple of weeks ago. Turns out my glowplugs are fine.

Quote:
I am sure I do need some GPs, and last time I had them changed he didn't ream them. So I am certain that needs doing. The indicator does not stay lit for long -- maybe eight, nine seconds -- and never in the life of this car has running multiple GP cycles helped with the cold weather start. I do not hear the relay shutoff you guys talk about, never have. Nor does the 'done light' test ever show me anything.
Hmm this is interesting. I'll be honest I don't hear mine shut off either. I just count to 28 ( one one thousand two one thousand) and turn off and repeat. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Quote:
The temp right now is about 40 but it was 20 overnight and this hunk of cold steel really hangs onto the cold. Life of the car, I've never had a smooth start under 30 degrees without heating the block.
I've never been to Texas in my life. I have no idea how cold it gets in the winter However if it gets cold like that every year consider putting in 5w40. Also do a search for "rough cold starts". You probably are suffering from a mix of low compression, bad glow plugs, and low battery power.

There are also a lot of other things that can affect this, but check the easy stuff first.

Quote:
Wrapped tape around the power cord and got that magic sizzle right away when I plugged back in. I THINK.
Let us know! I betcha that was the problem right there. I would consider replacing the entire cable. I'm not a big fan of wrapping electrical tape where it will constantly get exposed to the elements.