View Single Post
Old 07-04-2002, 12:38 AM

Re: Green Owener Needs Info

Quote:
Originally posted by Mario Slipac
Hello I just bought 1972 220D for $800 in mint condition and need to know how often do I change these;

Oil Filter Change?
Oil Change/What Type?
Fuel Filter?
Glow Plugs?

Should I use fuel conditioners? Injector Cleaners?
Any known major failures on these models?

I dont know exact mileage on the car but the engine compression is extremely good when going down the hill in third!

Thanx

Mario S
Edmonton Canada

Hi,
Let me try answering this.

I'd change my oil every 3000 mi. In fact I will do the next one sooner. Contemplating on using synthetic. But, my rear main seal does leak oil and it'll be quite a waste.

There's a huge discussion on oil... synthetic .vs. dino, shell .vs. mobil .vs. Castrol .vs. etc...

if you type search and look for oil brand you'll find interesting threads I'd just look at the brands that people use, look for them and just use any one of them.

Oil Filter is usually changed when you change the oil.

Fuel filters, I just replaced mine... I don't know when they should be changed. But, they are cheap... since you just bought the car... just buy the filters and replace them. Very easy job.
Check Fastlane, they have good prices on these things..
(Top Link)

oh BTW, if your oil filler cap is leaking replace it with the newer plastic one or replace the seal.

If your car starts fine, I'd leave the glow plugs alone.

Try finding some Diesel Purge and run it on full strength (straight Diesel purge!) to clean the injectors.

Here are some instructions.

http://www.mindspring.com/~houlihan/merc/purge.htm

I use Red Line Diesel Fuel Catalyst that I buy from Pep Boys. They are cheap over there.. so I buy it from them. Fastlane sells Redline 85+ in packs of 12 I think. I will do that next time.
I dump a bottle in the tank every fill up.