Thread: E55 vs. M5
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2000, 11:14 AM

Donny-
The "old-timer" method has basically gone away with the required 3000 mile oil change.
Used to be, first 1000 miles, no full throttle starts. Vary speeds for hiway driving, not one continuous speed. Don't exceed 60 MPH. Easy on the brakes, don't mash 'em. Change the oil and filtr after first thousand and then-GO FOR IT! This was before synthetic oil. Some of the "older" guys will not use synthetic oil to "break-in" their new engines. They switch to syntheic after the break-in. With factory fill synthetics, there is very little friction. All this was done to help the piston rings seat properly and remove any extraneous metal filings frm the engine with the first oil change.
Today, with high-tech engine assembly, pistons, rings and oil these old-time rules are considered obsolete by some. My friend had his Corvette engine modified by Reeves Callaway. When he asked the break-in procedure, Reeves told him, "Pedal to the Metal, no break in". Thats what he did-no problems.
In keeping with my "old-timer" roots (bad habits are hard to break) my break-in suggestions-
slow and gradual application of the brakes. Always try to avoid mashing the pedal.
Vary your highway speed first 500 miles. Avoid full-throttle starts first 500 miles.
No limit to top speed, except where prohibited by law. Change oil and filter every 3000 miles.
Take car to track. Enjoy.
Just my $.02
Gary

------------------
http://clubs.snap.com/mercedesbenze55registry/index.lhtml
00 AMG E55
96 DCM Impala SS
94 ZR-1
81 Corvette Cpe