Thread: W123 Grille
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj67coll View Post

My renovated grille with the old grille insert next to it for comparison. I acquired another insert from another forum member that was not as badly deteriorated as mine. It was still turning to dust, just not as badly as the original. I sanded it down, very lightly, more to get the plastic "dust" particles off of it, then painted it. Can't remember using a primer but I do know that I gave it a couple of coats of Tamiya "German Grey" spray paint. I used the best vertical and horizontal chrome strips from the two grilles and reassembled it all in the original chrome surround, added a star from the dealer and it looked like a million dollars. Well maybe not a million but you get the picture.

I also tried to open the headlight bezel to try and paint the gray plastic inside the clear covers as it was as faded as the original grille, as you can see from the picture. However I was not able to open them. Looked like it was sealed as a unit with no intention of ever having them opened. I would have had to break them apart all around the outside of the clear plastic and them glue them together again and I didn't have the stomach for it.

I enjoyed this project but if I were to do it again I think I would just buy the plastic insert online and the trim pieces as well.

- Peter.
Good photo comparison, I used the dark gray primer myself before, here's a photo:

Here's a new insert using the same grille frame, and same grille strips. New emblem and hood star completed the look, grille-wise:

I just forgot to get a new hood pull, in the above photo it's still the same color as the dark gray grille insert.

And here's what will happen if you don't paint it correctly! Photo was taken before I got new lenses for the headlights.

When I first painted the grille (in 2005 I think) with black paint, it chipped easily. See photo. Texture also remained rough.

Also got tired of the dark gray grille look, so it's now back to original look:

Last edited by MBeige; 01-15-2010 at 01:58 AM.