View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equitas View Post
Skid Row: I've thought of a newer MB like the 320 you suggested. But, I've been warned away from them. As I say, my father had a early 90's 190 and was appalled by the poor quality.
Also, the newer cars have a LOT of electronic gadgets in them. I've got two working cars with fine gizmos in them, but they don't have a lot of character, and they don't "speak" to me the way the older ones do....or perhaps instead of them speaking to me, they don't speak FOR me....they don't make the statement about me that I'm looking for.

The wife thinks I'm crazy. We use about 1.5 of the 2 cars we have now. So she's thinking we already perhaps have too many cars, and I'm here thinking about a 3rd, for which we'd BARELY have space....one in the garage (the miata) and two in the tandem driveway. So I'm treading lightly at home.

I've also got to convince myself that this is worthwhile. Am I off onto a wild goose chase. Will I buy one and then find out that it wasn't all that exciting afterall.

I'm sure I sound like an idiot, but really, in real life I'm quite normal.

Thanks for all the help.
J
No, you do not sound like an idiot. You're learning about these cars.

The 2005 E320 CDI is a straight-six diesel powered four door sedan that will do 0-60 mph in 7.5 seconds, and, ungoverned will cruise at 140 mph. Not exactly a slow-poke......and routinely gets close to 30 mpg. That's the pre-owned MB car I'd buy if I were just starting out owning MB cars. That one car does everything well, and is very safe to ride in.

I don't know how old you are, but my first car was a '74 Cadillac - a real POS. I wish I would have started buying MB diesels like my folks were at the time. I wised up when I started driving an '83 300SD turbodiesel - that was a stroke of brilliance for me to step up to a pre-owned MB diesel sedan.