View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 12:14 AM

Pagz, what's your piston Diameter, do you know? Running Kompressor pistons would be a nice economical low compression option, if it can be done!

Either way, with everything together, in a 2.8 I do not think you could rev it high enough to see the bottom end becoming a factor, given it's built right. The ability of the head to breathe as well as the ability to keep the valves from floating would definitely be the determining factors. That said I'd still go with a 3.2. You still have the numbers on paper to rev them far past anything that a street car would ever see. You will also notice much faster spool and a whole bunch more bottom end to haul you around on the street.

Remember, the big number on the end of the dyno is cool, and I guess if you're street racing it's important, but in any real racing application the area under the curve as well as total torque output are worlds more important!

I was pretty sure that not all M104's were 10:1, though I don't think Mercedes did any numbering designations on the block to denote changes in compression ratio? Anyone care to weigh in on this?

Either way, I've got more .98 parts right now than I do for the other motors, So I'm pretty sure it's that head that I'll be going with for now. I know that both of these heads should flow very well, especially as noted by how relatively mild the cams are for their ability to rev.

Also, I'm not sure that having the oil ring and the piston pin occupying the same space is that bad, SBC guys run boost though this setup in big stroker motors quite a bit and they seem to tolerate it alright, but that side loading with that bore would lead to ovailing quite easily I would imagine which could quickly kill even the strongest blocks.