View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Rogue T Tolerant

I drove 2000 miles with one empty boot. It burst around October and I didn't discover the damage until Thanksgiving.

What I did was buy this gear goop stuff and I spooned a bunch of it into the boot. When I was done I wrapped it in duct tape.

The other boot was ready to burst so I sealed that in duct tape as well.

The goop in the damaged axle stayed in for the most part. My other boot finally burst a week before I replaced the axles.

If you put lubrication into the boot it can last quite a long time. Just listen and if you hear that thunk thunk thunk get excessively loud then it will be time replace it.

I was tempted to rewrap my axles and see how long the duct tape would last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian White View Post
Okay good, I will limp it home the boot has one small tear in it, it is intact. Besides being messy, is this job difficult? I haven't checked out the DIY articles....yet. I really don't want to replace these OEM CV joints, they have 316K miles on them I am assuming. I have no record of them being replaced. The boot are obviously factory since that have a 126 part number on them and a three pointed star molded in.
Ian, it's not that hard. But at the same time it is. I'd say budget in at least a weekend to replace them. Make sure you have all of the right tools (something i'm going to do from now on ).

If time is short at the moment do what I said above and wrap the joint in duct tape and put some gear grease in it.

Last edited by okyoureabeast; 01-18-2010 at 06:17 PM.